Child visa

Child (Subclass 802 and 101) Visa

This visa allows the eligible parents to sponsor their child to live in Australia indefinitely. If the child is in Australia visa 802 is applied, while when the child is outside Australia, visa 101 is applied. For a child under 18 years, the parent can apply on child’s behalf.


  • The parent must be a citizen of Australia, eligible citizen of New Zealand or holder of Australian permanent resident visa.
  • For being eligible for this visa, the child must be below 18 years and single or if between 18-25 years old the child should be a full – time student or be a disable 18 years and above who is dependent on the sponsoring parent.
  • In case the child is adopted, then the age at which child was adopted must be under 18.
  • A health report not older than 12 months of child as well as of all the family members included in visa application whether they migrate or not is required, for meeting health requirements.
  • For character requirements, a police clearance is needed from all the respective countries where the child (older than 1 year) has resided for 12 months or more in last 10 years.
  • The applicant must be devoid of any outstanding debts to the Australian Government.

Who is an eligible sponsor?

An eligible sponsor can be parent, adoptive parent or stepparent who is not together with child’s parent but has legal responsibility of child’s care under 18 years of age. The sponsor must be older than 18 years old.

Sponsor’s obligations:

  • A sponsor is responsible for helping the child to settle in Australia, providing the child with an adequate accommodation, a reasonable living standard and enough financial support to meet the child’s need in the first two years in Australia.
  • A sponsor is also responsible for the cost of child living in Australia to the Australian Government.
  • For sponsoring a child under 18 years, sponsor has to provide a written consent of every person having a legal authority of deciding where the child will live, legal permission from child’s home country allowing their removal and permissions acquired must be consistent with Australian child order.


This permanent residence visa allows the child to work, study and stay in Australia indefinitely. If eligible, the applicant can also apply for Australian citizenship. For five years from the date of visa grant the visa holder is allowed to travel to and from Australia frequently. They can also sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
Request A Call Back